Thursday, April 2, 2009

Change of traveling-style needed

This trip through Mexico and Central America has been the first out-of-country, long-term travel experience I have done by myself. I have learned so much and have had such a great time, but I think from now on, I need to change my style of traveling a bit. The longest I have stayed in one place this trip has been three weeks, which is when I volunteered at the Bosque in Michoacon, Mexico. I feel like I have been just touching the surface of everywhere I go, just staying long enough to experience a little of the area and get an idea of what it is like.

This fast-paced style of traveling is no doubt exciting, but I have a longing to go more in depth, to truly get to know an area and the people that live there. I want to really get to know people, and form solid friendships that will last forever. Although, I'm not saying that I want to settle down yet either...I think I am still a long ways away from that. But from now on, I am going to travel at a much, much slower pace, spending at least a couple months in each place. I need to find the right balance that will allow me to experience new places and keep my sanity at the same time.

No comments: