Friday, September 5, 2008

Return from Burning Man

I have returned from the week-long, eccentric arts and music party in the middle of the desert that is known as Burning Man. It is quite difficult to describe the sheer scale and massiveness of this festival to someone who does not know what it is. To sum it up: it is a huge week-long gathering of thousands of people in the middle of the Black Rock Desert in Nevada. Artists work all year round creating these unbelievable art pieces, a lot of them mobile. It is a party that never stops, with bass beats blaring in the distance all through the night. But I will not tell you any more than that, you will just have to find out what it is like for yourself...

A dust storm sweeps across the Playa as we approach Black Rock City.

A view of our camp at 8:30 & F. Photo by Justin Costanzo


I was able to get a ride into San Francisco with my new friend Justin, and from there I took the Caltrain to San Jose, where my buddy Joey gave me a ride down to Santa Cruz. So Santa Cruz is where I am once more temporarily residing for the moment. It has been wonderful to see all my friends here again, and tell them stories of the past few months. Burning Man was a blast, but I have come to face the fact that it pretty much drained me of most of the money I had saved up. Not to mention that my wallet was lost(or stolen) somewhere along the way.

I honestly have no idea how long I will be staying here or when I will be able to make the trek down into Mexico. The fact is: I need money. I figure I could make money while still here in California, or try to find work down in Mexico, but I have no idea how easy or difficult that would be. My friend is trying to set me up with some landscaping work in San Jose, so I am really crossing my fingers that that will pan out. If I do get this job, I may end up staying in San Jose for a month or two while I save up money.

No comments: