Friday, July 3, 2009

Summer in Santa Cruz

An apple falls from a tree and lands on the ground with a thud outside my window. For some reason, I am inspired by this apple to write...something I have not done in months.

Why have I not been writing? I guess since I have been off the road, I don't feel like there is that much to write about. I have been thinking too much about which direction to go with my life, and in all that thinking, I have started to lose sight of my original dream. I have moved into a house in Santa Cruz, and have been considering going back to school and living a more stationary life for a while. But the same problem that I had with school in the past, now arises again. It is too big of a commitment, and I have a problem with long-term commitment, and being tied down in general. I already have plans to do things later this year that would interfere with school...music festivals, meditation retreats in the mountains, WWOOFing, the autumn harvest season. And like those apples falling to the ground, the minutes of my life are passing by, one by one.

The house I am living in now is only a summer sublet. So that means I have until the end of the summer to save up some money, or I could just leave whenever I please. So I will try to find some work here and make as much money as possible, and then hit the road after summer.


TIP: In areas where there are colleges and universities, a lot of students will sublet their rooms for the summer, while they are visiting back home. They will usually lower the price of the room dramatically. For example, the house I am in now, I am paying $200 a month less than it would normally cost during the school season. This is a good way to save a little money.

No comments: